Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I love to see the Temple

As you all know I was recently endowed at the end of April, I keep saying recently and I still think that I still qualify, right? Anyway I usually try to get to the temple twice a month. And I usually go on Saturday mornings when Pedro has the kids or when someone can babysit. Well as you all know summer is crazy and my Saturdays are booked for the entire month of July. So I had to get creative with my temple attendance. By creative I mean not going on a Saturday. So I worked it out and went last night. I just wanted to share my story cause it made me think a little. I walked down the block and jumped on a train to Manhattan. On the train I read my Sheri Dew book. When I got off the train I turned my ipod on and cranked church music while I rode the subway and walked the couple of blocks to the temple. As I walked along Broadway listening to I know that my Redeemer lives I couldn't help but think how crazy it was to get on a train and a subway to get to the temple. I brought my book and I brought my ipod so I could try to prepare to enter the house of the Lord. Then I saw the Angel Moroni peaking out between the buildings and the smokers, cabs, and hoochie mamas on the street kind of just fell away and as I walked into the temple I wondered if I really needed to bring my Sheri Dew book or blast I know that my redeemer lives, cause upon entering the silence was thick and the spirit was strong and I couldn't think of a better place to be. After my session I stepped back into the world and caught a cab to Penn Station. I guess it just seemed a little odd to me to take all these trains and cabs and subways to go to the temple when I usually just drive. But when you live in New Jersey it's pretty easy and pretty normal even if you are going to the temple. Bottom line it doesn't matter how you get there and it may not even matter if you have the spirit with you when you walk in the door. It only matters that you do go and that you know no matter what the spirit will always be in His house, even in downtown Manhattan.

2 comments:

Erickson Bunch said...

You are an inspiration!

Unknown said...

Shandis you are amazing! I need to be better I live less than 5 miles from the Temple! You have inspired me! even with 8 kids I know I can get there!! I know that is were the Lord wants us to be! thank you for sharing your testimony with us! You rock!! & you look absolutely Fabulous!!